Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Ouch.

I've always tried to hold doors for people going in and/or out of buildings.
I sometimes don't let my child finish a sentence before closing the van door.
I've always tried to be polite when a meal is taking too long at a restaurant.
I rush my kids through their meals so that I can get them bathed and in bed so I can relax!
I've always been patient with children in stores and in halls of places.
My kids sometimes only get a word or two out and I'm done listening.
I'm truly concerned whenever I see someone get hurt.
I often tell my kiddos to shake it off, walk it off, get over it.
I'm always enamored by the gals who get flowers at work or whose hubbies do amazingly romantic things for them.
I often complain that Mat doesn't do enough romantic things for me, but what have I ever really done for him?

I'm so concerned with what "outside world" sees from me. I make sure that "outside world" gets my very best. But in doing that, am I losing my children's respect? Am I forgetting the romantic things my husband has done because I'm wanting an unreal fantasy? Anyone else feeling me here?? Please don't be silent!!

I want to sit with my children and enjoy their laughter and incessant talking without getting upset at the noise. I want to kiss boo boos without accusing them of doing something they shouldn't. I want to be their hero, not their thorn. I want to curb their spiritedness to the will and works of God, not break their spirit that He gave them for His purpose. I want to lead by example...or am I already leading them in the wrong direction?

Boy, do I hate conviction.

4 comments:

  1. WOW!! Ouch is right! I feel ya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a very poignant reminder for all moms. Thanks for the reminder Carrie. God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, and yes, I think we all feel this way sometimes.

    ReplyDelete