Thursday, January 14, 2010

Lane Kiffin vs Haiti...

Ok, so there's been a ton of talk about Lane Kiffen leaving UT for USC and what a horrible thing to do, yada yada, blah blah blah. And there's been a lot of bashing of those people for focusing there instead of on the earthquake in Haiti. Yes, it's bad there. But for most people, it's so far away, that it's somehow not entirely real.

At least, I know for me, that's how it could seem. Before the Crazy Love campaign at our church, I didn't know what the plight of Haiti was other than it wasn't a flourishing country. I didn't know about the children being orphaned and living on the streets. I didn't know that there were orphanages that had people running them who "rented" out the kids to be sexual slaves. I didn't know that the kids who weren't in those orphanages, and even some that were, lived off of mud cookies (dirt & water). I didn't know that garbage was thrown into the ocean on one side of the island where it would just wash up on the other...if it was even thrown in the ocean instead of the typical place...the side of the road. I didn't know that a public bathroom meant just going wherever you stood at the time you had to go. Before Crazy Love, Haiti was just a country that needed something.

Now, they need more. Long Hollow Baptist Church is collecting blankets on Sunday morning to send to our affiliates there in Haiti. The Global Orphan Project is allowing us to be a part of their mission there. If you want to donate, go to longhollow.com and find out how you can be a part.

Before Crazy Love, I didn't hurt for those people, because they had no faces. Now, they do...and they are hurting. You can help.

No comments:

Post a Comment